Collector Memorial Hall NSW

History of Collector Hall

Collector Memorial Hall – Established 1952

Established 1952, the purpose of Collector Memorial Hall was to commemorate the loss of life by locals in the world wars, especially WW2, and the sacrifice of all war veterans. It was also to serve as a community focal point. The Collector Memorial Hall was built by the Collector community, for the community. The hall and adjoining Poidevin Park is still owned and totally funded by the Collector community, and today continues to be maintained by local volunteers.

Collector Memorial Hall 1890s to 1952

Collector Hall was constructed on the site of the old Assembly Hall (opened in 1896) on land donated by Mr Timothy McInerney.  The plans for Collector Memorial Hall were drawn up by local builder, Lee Sheridan. The hall was constructed over three years funded by locals and the proceeds of monthly dances. Parts of the old Collector Courthouse demolished in 1951 were used in its construction. Collector Memorial Hall was officially opened and registered as a War memorial in December, 1952.

Collector Hall today

Today Collector Hall serves a variety of purposes for the local community, mainly as a point for local gatherings, both public and private. Collector Memorial Hall is now an evacuation centre for the Collector and surrounding NSW region to assist locals and visitors in times of crisis, as well as attracting residents from Sydney, Canberra and Goulburn as an affordable community hall for hire for private events including country weddings and birthday parties, festivals such as the Collector Pumpkin Festival, childcare services and town meetings.

Collector Hall media reports

Collector Memorial Hall was officially opened and registered as a War Memorial in December, 1952. Link:

Newspaper report of the opening of Collector Memorial Hall:

Scroll to Top